Once an individual is deceased and their lack of a proper will has been established, the next step is to distribute their assets to the appropriate parties. Asset distribution is done through the Superior Court of California, a highly time-sensitive process with distinct deadlines outlined by the California Probate Code. When you seek legal assistance with probate court in Roseville, CA, look no further than the law firm of Meissner, Joseph & Palley, Inc.
When all occurs as planned, a typical probate court proceeds in the following manner:
- Before day 15 of the estate owner’s death: The PR (personal representative) of the estate appoints a qualified lawyer to minimize time spent and ensure that all assets are distributed to their new rightful owners.
- By day 20: Together with the probate lawyer, the PR files a legal court document called a Petition for Probate within the county where the deceased individual resided at the time of death.
- By Day 45: A publication of the ongoing probate is arranged in a local newspaper, and all interested parties are informed via written notices. At the initial court hearing, a judge issues an order that approves the Petition for Probate. Once everything is in order, the court issues “Letters of Administration,” granting the PR permission to handle the estate assets.
- Day 46-165: Throughout the next 4 months, the PR gathers the assets, repays the creditors, pays any outstanding taxes, and determines the appropriate beneficiaries for the remaining assets.
- By day 166: The PR prepares the Final Accounting of the estate and files the final petition.
- Day 190: At the final court hearing, the judge signs the final order for the disbursements to be made. Once receipts are signed by the beneficiaries, the probate file can be closed.
We Are Here to Help
When faced with the prospect of probate court, rest assured that your lawyer John B. Palley is committed to overseeing all proceedings in the shortest amount of time yet with the highest level of efficiency. We understand that the death of a loved one is a difficult time for you and your family, and being PR of the estate makes it even more so. This is where our law firm comes in.
If you would like to learn more about probate court in Roseville, CA, we welcome you to contact John B. Palley at the law firm of Meissner, Joseph & Palley, Inc. today. Whether your probate situation is simple or complex, we are here to guide you towards a quick and favorable resolution.